Sunday, December 21, 2008

My experience with Alaskan Wild Salmon




I have never tasted wild salmon before.
Because of this, I would never be able to differentiate wild from farmed salmon.
I have written before about the issues with farmed salmon i.e Lice, colouring, PCBs contamination etc.
By the way, almost 100% of salmon supplies (e.g. Norwegian, Chilean) from Malaysia are the farmed varieties.

We went shopping today in Tesco (in housemates's car) and I stumbled upon the Alaskan Wild Salmon in the frozen section.
It was more expensive for sure.
8 small pieces (fillet) for 10 pounds.
Usual price for farmed salmon in malaysia is aproximately RM30/kg
This is about RM100/kg!
I bit my lips and put it into my trolley and paid immediately (before I change my mind).
I told myself that this might be the first and last time being able to sample wild salmon.
I came back and immediately started my Alaskan Wild Salmon journey.

I thought I would be disappointed.
I didn't.

Firstly, it didn't look like the usual bright orange that we usually see in the supermarket. The colour was more subtle- 'peachy'.

As far as taste is concerned, there is no comparison (I pan fried the salmon with only some olive oil and butter to be able to taste the original flavour).
It has a much better texture, and the meat does not give you the "fishy" smell and taste that farmed salmon is known to have (have you ever panfried salmon and your whole house is engulfed in this distinct fishy salmon smell???).

The farmed salmons can be compared to chickens (farmed versus wild-kampung), in that the meat is not as well developed, and the fact that the animals are kept confined, in an unnatural state, reflects in the taste at your dinner table or backyard BBQ.



Beyond the obvious health issues, if you are a salmon lover, Wild Alaskan Salmon will give you a taste that can't be beaten!

By the way:-
Farmed Salmon by the way has 52% more fat vs wild salmon (but same omega 3 content)- due to sedentary lifestyle of farmed salmon.

Alaska’s salmon fisheries is strictly regulated, closely monitored, and rigidly enforced. It is one of the few places in the world which practices sustainable fishing.

4 comments:

chungteng1972 said...

Hi, may I know where you bought the wild salmon in which branch? Thank you

chungteng1972 said...

It would be great if you know who was the supplier, was thinking to buy in bulk! Thank you

Unknown said...

Hi Dr:
Are you still able to get your hand on "wild salmon" or good quality of farm raised salmon in "Melaka"?
I am looking to get some for my elderly Parents living near Bukit Cina to help with their health condition.

Appreciated very much if you can provide info. Thanks.
Wendy

Ray said...

Hi there,

For good quality farmed Salmon, you can call us up Southern Rock Seafood in Kl. Depending on whether our delivery partner, we should be able to send it to you.

We uses only Scottish Salmon from Loch Duart. Yes, this post has been long, just stumbled across it.