Saturday, December 6, 2008

Dinner at High table- Pembroke College (5/12/2008), University of Cambridge: A Harry Potter experience






Pembroke College, founded in 1347 by Marie de St Pol, Countess of Pembroke, is the third oldest of the Cambridge colleges and the first to have its own Chapel.

I had the privilege of being invited by Professor Ken Smith of Cambridge Institute of Medical Research (CIMR) for dinner at the college's high table on the 5th December 2008.

I thought that it was a departmental dinner and was quite relax about it. But I went into the college's website to memorised as much as I could about the college. I also brought my camera (If you wonder). Apparently, only certain people can dine at the high table. Old Members who hold an MA or other Master's degree or a higher degree from the University, or are qualified for an MA, are welcome to dine in College during term or the period of residence in the Long Vacation. But the website didn't specify the dining rights of a college fellow (there are 65 of them in Pembroke).

Anyway, meeting time was at 715pm (meet at porter's lodge). I arrived 45 minutes earlier as I didn't want to be late (already dark at this time of the day). I then walked down the street to a wine shop to buy a bottle of red wine (so as not to go empty handed).

I told the shop owner that I was about to attend dinner at Pembroke college and would like a bottle of red wine.
Budget 20-30pounds.
He then asked me what type of red wine are you looking for.
Year, country of origin, what aspect of the taste...etc
Oops. Don't know anything about all these things.
So, I told him to recommend.
So he recommended Pinot Noir from New Zealand- light, refreshing....etc
Yes. I heard Pinot Noir before from the TV.
He says I wont go wrong with this.
So I paid him 25 pounds for the bottle and rushed back to the college.

Upon arrival, Prof Ken Smith was already there.
I was introduced to his wife, and Dr Chaudry (consultant in Addenbrooke's Hosp).
Prof was all gowned up (like the Harry Potter characters- in fact, part of the movie was shot in Oxford).
We then walked into the courtyard and into a room (more of a dungeon to me).
(by the way, the attire is formal. I wore a black wool jacket with white shirt and blue tie. Remember that I cycled from home. So I had to change from my North Face Triclimate Jacket to the formal jacket in front of Kings College!).
Flashbacks then occured. Several images appeared- Lord Voldermort, Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and Hagrid. Thank god there was no dragons spurting fire.

Once in the hall, I saw a cozy room with a fireplace with a beautiful table set up for 10 person.
10 person?
We were already 4. This does not look like a departmental dinner.
Oops. Tension....

Then a few other people came. All gowned up.
We were introduced to the fellows of the college (who would be joining us for dinner).
1 was a nano-physicist (40's), 1 historian (70's), 1 economist (60's) and 1 ex governor (70's) of some place which I could not remember.

Then the Master came- Richard Dearlove.
After that, we all walked to another room (inner room). Who walks first is based on hierarchy as well as who sits where.
Anyway, to cut the story short, we had dinner and talked about various issues.
Very interesting conversations with the fellows.
1 fellow was telling me about Malaysia's current political situation (plus the economy and many other stuff). He knows far more than what I know about my country. Some information discussed were very sensitive to be mentioned in this blog. By the way, he was involved in the engineering our country's economy in the 80's.

The fellows like to pose very 'odd' questions out of a sudden. Example:-

"By the way, do you think bets are necessary for a man in his lifetime?"

What question is this!
I am not entering Pembroke College-lah.
But I suspect it might be one of the questions used for their interview (undergraduate student intake).
Anyway, I just said what went through my mind.

Getting back to dinner, the menu was as follows:-
Ceviche Prawns
Chump of lamb
Champ potato, honey roasted carrots and parsnips. (Wow. I love parsnips!)
Dark chocolate and blacberry fondant


Great dinner.
One of the best lamb that I have ever eaten.
But couldn't eat much.
Appetite lost as viva-voce in progress.

After dinner, we went to another room.
Its another session of coffee, alcohol (4 types. Not sure what species of alcohol it belonged to), cheese, fruits. Who pours the coffee is also based on hierarchy.
Since alcohol was free flowing, my pinot noir was redundant.
Anyway, it's the thought that counts right?

The sitting position was now switched!.
You are now seated with another group of people (the other half).
Viva continues..
Does this mean that I have passed Part 1.
Or this is only the 2nd station of part 1. I am dead.

My bladder pressure was progressively building up but I didn't go to the toilet at all as the 'exam' has not finished.

Other topics discussed were:-

Euthanasia
Abortion
Origin of tennis
Politics
UK
Euro
Gordon Brown
David Cameron....etc


"By the way, do you know anything about the master?"
One fellow asked me.
He is the ex-head of MI6.
What? He acted in the James Bond film?
No. He is the ex-head of MI6 in real life.


Sir Richard Dearlove served as chief (known as ‘C’) of the Secret Intelligence Service (SIS) from August 1999 until his retirement in July 2004. For the preceding five years he was director of Operations and, from 1998, assistant chief. As director of finance, administration and personnel he also oversaw the move of SIS into its Headquarter Building at Vauxhall Cross in 1994. He is a career intelligence officer of thirty-eight years standing and has served in Nairobi, Prague, Paris, Geneva and Washington as well as in a number of key London-based posts.

Sir Richard took up the mastership of Pembroke College Cambridge on 1 October 2004.

I was astonished.
You need a MI6 person to 'jaga' these cambridge nerds.

To cut the story even shorter, I left after the master left.
(It was already 11pm and they have just started!.)
The fellowship then decided that I could come visit Pembroke whenever I wanted to.

It was raining rather heavily. I came out of the college, changed to my Triclimate Jacket and cycled home as fast as I could (as it was raining and needed to empty my bladder).


This dinner was indeed a memorable event.
I never expected to be introduced to the wizardly world and magical elements of Pembroke College.

So, NEXT (college)............?

p/s: Didn't take any pictures as didn't want to be labeled as 'jakun' of Malaysia.
And remember that I am carrying MSN's name!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You are quite a writer..
So in the end, did you pass the viva?

No results...
Probably you passed in that you were invited again to go...